Storybook Favorites

The Coyote

This one jumped out at me from the list of storybook titles due to my extensive experience with coyotes, having grown up in Texas, and it did not disappoint. I've always enjoyed tales about trickster animals; the modern spins (like the chicken fried steak) and the addition of the humorously oblivious fox were very enjoyable. The storybook itself had a very clean and professional presentation and formatting to it, especially in its use of images as seen here:

Screen Capture of "The Coyote" introduction. Source.

Mythical Monsters of the New World

Looking at the title, I wasn't sure what I was in for when I clicked through to this one, but I knew I would enjoy it as soon as I saw "Part 1a: Bigfoot" (my collection of bigfoot clothing and memorabilia borders on excessive). This story stands out as being particularly well written; you can tell that a lot of effort went into not only the story, but also into how everything is worded and phrased. Everything about the language and prose works to give the stories a spooky and eerie vibe. The most memorable part of this storybook has to be the second person narration/interactive story style. It's very unique and definitely something I'll be considering for my own project. 

Syrup, Sand, and Stories

Given that Waffle House is my favorite breakfast restaurant, there was no way I was passing by this storybook and I'm glad I didn't. This is definitely one of the most unique and interesting sets of alterations to myths I've ever seen. On top of how fun the Waffle House-spin on Egyptian mythology was, the embedded soundtrack on each story provided a great bit of atmosphere. I also really appreciated some of the edited photos and the humor they added. Photo editing is one of my favorite hobbies and I will definitely be looking into using it in future work for this class.

Screen Capture of "Syrup, Sand, and Stories" chapter "Power Over Serpents." Source.


Comments

Popular Posts