Storybook Plan

As I noted in my Topic Research post, I was thinking of structuring my storybook around some sort of modern bringing-together of famous giants, with them telling their stories to each other. I had suggested going the direction of a support group for giants, or maybe just campfire stories, but I think it would be best to go somewhere in-between. Right now, I am considering going down the path of an annual convention for giants. Perhaps at the opening ceremonies, the set of giants I have selected happen to have been seated together and are just having a bit of a chat over dinner. 

As for those giants I have selected, I will certainly be using the stories of the ones noted in my topic research, Paul BunyanAntaeus, and Goliath. Looking to expand my geographical range, however, I am also thinking of adding The Ogre of Rashomon, one of the most famous of the Japanese Oni, known for his battle with the legendary samurai Watanabe no Tsuna. The obvious outlier of the batch is, of course, Paul Bunyan, both being the most recent and being the only hero of the bunch. To even things out a bit, I may also add another giant of Paul Bunyan's age and relative locale: John Henry. John Henry is a bit different, in that there almost definitely was a real John Henry from whom the legend grew, but I feel he is suitable as a (relatively) modern day giant nonetheless. I think the differences between these ancient legends and more modern stories provide a lot to explore in what seems to make people so universally interested in giants.

Watanabe no Tsuna fighting the Oni by Utagawa Kuniyoshi. Source: WikiMedia Commons


Comments

Popular Posts