Week 8 Reading and Writing

I'm pretty proud of where my blog is at so far. I think the formatting I chose at the beginning of the semester has worked out really well and provides a good, neutral theme for the wide variety of story images to sit on. Concerning the stories themselves, I am also really happy with how most of them have turned out. I feel that I have done a good job of keeping the ways I retell stories original and not repeating ideas, at least in terms of content. In terms of style, however, most of my stories have been third person narratives. The most unique of my stories in terms of writing style has definitely been Week 5 which was told in the style of a speech being given to a carnival audience. Going forward, I would like to experiment more with how I tell stories, maybe experimenting with stanza formats or first or second person narratives.

Last but not least, my favorite image. This one was a toss-up between my Week 5 story and my Week 7 reading notes. The image from the Week 5 story was that of a poster from one of all-time great strongman and bodybuilder Eugen Sandow's performances. Ultimately though, I had to go with the illustration of Baba Yaga by Ivan Bilibin from my Week 7 notes. Bilibin is renowned for his depictions of Slavic folktales, and I absolutely love his style. If I could use one of his works for all of my posts, I definitely would. I've included both the picture I used in Week 7 (second image) and a couple others below:

Illustration for the Tale of Prince Ivan, The Firebird and the Grey Wolf (1899) by Ivan Bilibin. Source: WikiArt

Baba Yaga (1900) by Ivan Bilibin. Source: WikiMedia Commons

Illustration for the fairy tale "Vasilisa the Beautiful" (1900) by Ivan Bilibin. Source: WikiArt

Comments

Popular Posts